Friday, July 31, 2015

New Guy 3

Editor's Note: The following is a post relating to the author's being in a play. This, after moving to another part of the country from New York. There will be more posts as the show develops.


There's no way I can say all of this in 5 counts of 8. I said to myself. No matter how fast I delivered it, it just didn't work. I would have to burn through a line like, "Give yourselves a round of applause." in order to make it fit into the music break. And that was without waiting for the applause! No, I thought to myself, this will just not work.

I called my son up to my office, and asked him to try it. He's a veteran with over thirty shows under his belt. If he couldn't do it, it couldn't be done. If he could do it, then my worst fears would be confirmed. I'm just a noob with no business being in this show. (Actors and their neuroses... sheesh!). I then realized that just feeling that that was a possibility made me a noob anyway. I had to shake myself and remember that I was chosen for this part.

My son listened to the music once through, and told me that half of my lines in this particular scene came before the music even started. I felt as though a great weight was lifted. I had plenty of time to deliver a nuanced and brilliant performance. Now, all I had to do was make that happen.

Rehearsal went well. I pointed out the music thing, and found that I did indeed have a ton of time to do it right. So much time, in fact, that I could slow it down a little and really get into it. It was a blast.
 There are still a few things I need to work on, (like, everything about my performance), so, work I shall. But, I feel so much better about the chance I have to do well in this show.

Now, if I could just nail that vocal part in that song in act two...

Full act rehearsals start next week, and we still have a few small incidental roles that, to my knowledge, haven't been filled yet. I wonder who will have to double up and jump in to play the cab driver, the TV reporter, etc.

The set is really coming along and looks wonderful. I have designed a few backgrounds for shows, so I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these things. It really does look great. I can't wait to see the lighting design with this set. I'm sure it will be truly a sight to see.


Twenty days. Twenty days until we open for a ten show run. The clock is ticking. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment